Information for new Master’s students starting in winter semester 2022/23!
You have been admitted to our Master’s in Medical Engineering for the winter semester 2022/23 intake? Congratulations and welcome to the program!
These are the next steps for you to take:
- You will be able to generate your online request for enrollment via the Campo portal from May 16th 2022. Please note that in order to complete the enrollment process, you will also need to send hard copy documents via surface mail (post) and transfer the semester fee. This part of the enrollment process takes place from July 25th until September 30th 2022. You can find further information concerning enrollment via post here. Depending on the post/courier service in your country, it can take several weeks until your documents arrive, so please make sure your documents reach us until the deadline. Important: In order to enroll at a German university, a German statutory health insurance provider must submit your current health insurance status digitally to FAU. This is also necessary if you are still abroad at the time of enrollment. The process on how to get this confirmation sent to FAU is explained here. You can request this confirmation from any of the German statutory health insurance providers (more information here).
- Winter semester 2022 starts on October 1st and and classes start on October 17th. At FAU, we have returned to on-site teaching. If you cannot travel to Germany in time because of travel restrictions or visa problems due to the pandemic, you will be able to take a small set of courses online so that you can start your studies remotely from your home country. Theses online courses will be listed on this website in due time. In any case, most of the exams, which will take place in the two official exam periods (13th of February – 25th of February and 23rd of March – 15th of April 2023), will be held on-site in Erlangen, so you should come to Erlangen by the beginning of February 2023 at the latest if possible. Please plan your visa process accordingly! The document that you need to apply for a student visa at the German Embassy in your home country is part of the admission letter that you can download from our Campo portal. An additional document stating the living costs in Germany are available for download here. An official letter confirming the language of instruction (English) can be downloaded here. An official document confirming the enrollment period, start of lectures and the regular duration of studies is available here. A letter confirming the option to start your studies online until you receive your visa is available for dowload here. During your travel preparations, we recommend that you keep a constant eye on our regularly updated COVID info. IMPORTANT: Do not choose the bank BAM! for your blocked account, as severe problems have been reported with this provider.
- Entering Germany: Please pay close attention to the current entry restrictions, testing and quarantine regulations.
- Regarding accommodation, it is important for you to know that German universities do not provide housing facilities. You have to rent a room or apartment on your own, but our Accommodation Service can assist you to a certain extent to get an offer by a students’ residence or private landlord. Please find more information on how to find accommodation here. As Erlangen is a small city and the housing market is extremely tense, we strongly advise not to be too picky and accept the first decent offer you can afford. Please also consider offers in the surrounding villages and nearby cities, such as Nuremberg, Fürth and Forchheim. The campus of our Faculty of Engineering ist well-connected by public transport and easy to reach, no matter where you are located.
- If your admission letter mentions so-called “conditions” you have to take additional subjects in parallel with your Master’s studies and pass those conditional subjects within one year after enrollment. Please find more information on this topic here.
- Courses: It is a unique characteristic of our Master’s program that it is extremely flexible and therefore adaptable to your interests. Please find a general explanation of the program structure here. Students starting their Master’s program in winter semester 2022/23 study according to the examination regulation 2022 (in German: “FPO 2022”). You will find the course catalogs for FPO 2022 on the Medical Engineering website from August 2022. The individual courses and their content can be looked up in our online course portal www.campo.fau.de. Most of the courses in our study program are lectures, which do not require any kind of registration by the student. Hence you can relax and wait for our Master Welcome Day (see below) until you design your individual class schedule. Please note that your enrollment has to be completed (you need your student login and password) in order for you to use our registration systems and get access to our online courses and course materials.
- You have questions about life in Erlangen and your studies at FAU? Our Central Office of International Affairs offers a series of introductory events for international students in September/October 2022. Please find more information here in due time. Several other introductory events, such as or our Welcome Week will also take place around the same time. You will find important dates like these in our calender on the front page of the Medical Engineering website and on the website of the Faculty of Engineering.
- If your questions are more specific to our Medical Engineering program, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)! Concrete information about the structure of the Medical Engineering program, your courses, class schedule etc. will be provided to you on our Master Welcome Day for Medical Engineering, which will be held mid-October 2022 (more information will be published here in due time). If you are curious in the meantime, you can have a look at this info material. If you would like to get in touch with seniors and your future fellow students, you are welcome to join our facebook group for international Master’s students. For more peer-to-peer information, you are welcome to contact our student association for Medical Engineering (FSI MedTech) and check out this youtube channel by one of our Medical Engineering graduates.
The whole team of the Medical Engineering program is looking forward to meeting you in the winter! Stay safe and healthy!