How can you become a student of the Master degree programme Medical Engineering?
We expect our future students to possess
- a subject-related qualification (computer science and engineering) for university entrance at master’s level (e.g. bachelor’s degree).
- excellent computer science skills (algorithms, programming in Java, C/C++, Matlab, Python, working with Linux operating system), profound knowledge in electrical engineering and a strong theoretical mathematics background.
Our entrance qualification board individually evaluates each application with all taken courses in a Bachelor’s program. This means that having studied Medical Engineering does not automatically make you suitable for entering our Master’s program as the content of each Bachelor’s program varies enormously. On the other hand, you do not necessarily need a degree in Medical Engineering to join the program. Please understand that we cannot predict your chances to get accepted before you apply.
English language requirements:
- internet based TOEFL min. 95
- paper based TOEFL min. 570
- computer based TOEFL min. 230
- IELTS min. 7.0
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English
- or UNIcert III
We do not make exceptions from our language requirements. A degree in an English-taught Bachelor’s program is not sufficient to proof your language skills.
Please note that within the Master’s Program Medical Engineering only the brach of study “Medical Image and Data Processing” (focus on Computer Science) is taught 100% in English. The other two branches (focus on Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering/Materials Science) are only suitable for applicants with very advanced German skills (DSH 2 or equivalent = C1 level). Please find more information on the German-taught branches on our German website.
FAU does not charge tuition fees. The administrative fee is currently 114 Euros per semester (i.e. 456 Euros in total for the 4 semester Master’s program).
3 steps to the Master’s degree programme Medical Engineering:
You can apply for the qualification assessment procedure through our central application portal of FAU (Campo).
- Procedure for qualification assessment and admission
The qualification assessment procedure has two phases: in the first phase your submitted documents are examined, in the second phase your qualifications might be assessed through an interview. Every applicant that is qualified for the Master degree programme Medical Engineering will be admitted, in some cases under certain conditions that must be met within a year.
After your successful qualification assessment you will receive an admission letter you will need for your enrolment in person.