Joining the Master Degree Program
How can you become a student of the Master degree program medical Engineering (English branches of study)?
Our two branches of study offered 100% in English are:
- Medical Image and Data Processing: focus on computer science for medical applications – start of studies in winter or in summer
- Health and Medical Data Analytics and Entrepreneurship (HMDA): focus on computer science for medical applications with a business component – this branch of study is accredited by the European MedTech consortium EIT Health and includes the opportunity to apply for a prestigious international program funded by EIT Health. Start of studies only possible in the winter.
For the application to our German-taught branches of study, please see our German website.
We expect our future students to possess
- a subject-related qualification (computer science and engineering) for university entrance at master’s level (e.g. bachelor’s degree),
- excellent computer science skills (algorithms, programming in Java, C/C++, Matlab, Python, working with the Linux operating system), profound knowledge in electrical engineering and a strong theoretical mathematics background.
Our entrance qualification board individually evaluates each application with all taken courses in a Bachelor’s program (practical work in a company is not an academic achievement and will not be considered in the evaluation!). This means that having studied Medical Engineering does not automatically make you suitable for entering our Master’s program as the content of each Bachelor’s program varies enormously. On the other hand, you do not necessarily need a degree in Medical Engineering to join the program. Please understand that we cannot predict your chances to get accepted before you apply.
English language requirements (one of the following alternatives):
- Internet Based TOEFL Score min. 80
- Paper Based TOEFL Score min. 547
- Computer Based TOEFL Score min. 210
- IELTS Score min. 5.5
- Cambridge Certificate First Certificate in English (FCE)
- Business English Certificate (BEC) Vantage
- UNIcert II
We do not make exceptions from our language requirements. A degree in an English-taught Bachelor’s program is not sufficient to proof your language skills.
Applicants with a German high school degree (“Abitur”) do not need an additional proof of English language proficiency for any branch of study of the Medical Engineering Master’s program.
German language skills are not required for the branches of study “Medical Image and Data Processing” and “Health and Medical Data Analytics”, as they are completely taught in English. However, basic German skills will be very helpful in daily life.
Please note that within the Master’s Program Medical Engineering only the branches of study “Medical Image and Data Processing” and “Health and Medical Data Analytics” are taught completely in English. The other branches (focus on Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering/Materials Science) are only suitable for applicants with very advanced German skills (DSH 2, TestDaF 4 or equivalent, i.e. C1 level). Please find more information on the German-taught branches on our German website.
FAU does not charge tuition fees. The administrative fee is currently (2021) 127 Euros per semester (i.e. around 508 Euros in total for the 4 semester/2 year Master’s program).
For more information, please see this page.
Steps to the Master’s degree program Medical Engineering:
You can apply for the qualification assessment procedure through FAU’s central application portal Campo. More information: here
- Procedure for qualification assessment and admission
The qualification assessment procedure has two phases: In the first phase, your submitted documents are evaluated, in the second phase -if applicable- your qualifications might be assessed by an interview. Every applicant who is qualified for the Master degree program in Medical Engineering will be admitted, in some cases under certain conditions that must be met within a year. More information: here
After your successful qualification assessment, you will receive an admission letter that you will need for your enrolment. More information: here