Joining the Master Degree Program
How can you become a student of the Master degree program Medical Engineering (English branches of study)?
Our three branches of study offered 100% in English are:
- Medical Image and Data Processing: focus on computer science for medical applications
- Health and Medical Data Analytics and Entrepreneurship (HMDA): focus on computer science for medical applications combined with a top-notch training in innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Medical Robotics: focus on computer science and electrical engineering for medical applications
For the application to our German-taught branches of study, please see our German website.
We expect our future students to possess
- a subject-related qualification (a first degree in computer science or engineering) for university entrance at master’s level (e.g. bachelor’s degree or equivalent),
- excellent computer science skills (algorithms, programming in Java, C/C++, Matlab, Python, working with the Linux operating system), solid knowledge in electrical engineering and a strong theoretical mathematics background.
Our admission board individually evaluates each application with all taken courses listed in your transcript of records (practical work in a company is not an academic achievement and will not be considered in the evaluation!). This means that if you have a degree in (Bio)Medical Engineering it does not automatically make you suitable for entering our Master’s program. This is due to the fact that the content of study programs varies enormously even if they have a similar name. On the other hand, you do not necessarily need a degree in Medical Engineering to join the program. Please understand that we cannot predict your chances to get accepted before you apply.
English language requirements:
- Internet Based TOEFL Score min. 80
- Paper Based TOEFL Score min. 547
- Computer Based TOEFL Score min. 210
- IELTS Score min. 5.5
- Cambridge Certificate First Certificate in English (FCE)
- Cambridge Business English Certificate (BEC) Vantage
- UNIcert II
Applicants with a German high school degree (“Abitur”) do not need an additional proof of English language proficiency for any branch of study of the Medical Engineering Master’s program.
German language skills are not required for the branches of study “Medical Image and Data Processing”, “Health and Medical Data Analytics” and “Medical Robotics”, as they are completely taught in English. However, basic German skills will be very helpful in daily life.
The other branches of study (focus on Medical Electronics or Mechanical Device Technology, Production Engineering & Prosthetics) are only suitable for applicants with very advanced German skills (DSH 2, TestDaF 4 or equivalent, i.e. C1 level). Please find more information on the German-taught branches on our German website.
FAU does not charge application or tuition fees. The administrative fee is currently (summer semester 23) 144 Euros per semester (i.e. less than 600 Euros in total for the 4 semester/2 year Master’s program).
For more information, please see this page.
Steps to the Master’s degree program Medical Engineering:
You apply for the qualification assessment procedure through FAU’s central application portal Campo. More information: here
- Procedure for qualification assessment and admission
The qualification assessment procedure has two phases: In the first phase, your submitted documents are evaluated, in the second phase -if applicable- you will be invited to an assessment test. Every applicant who is qualified for the Master degree program in Medical Engineering will be admitted, in some cases under certain conditions that must be met within a year. More information: here
- Enrollment and finding accommodation
After your successful qualification assessment, you will receive an admission letter that you will need for your enrollment. More information: here